Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer school for KC and Josh

Last Tuesday ( the start of heat wave), the kids started their summer school. This one is by the public school system so it is FREE! Oh, I love public schools! Since this is under Title 1 program, it is geared towards low income or the so called at risk population, to bridge the gap between communities. Apparently we live in a low income concetration part of Quincy, so the kids qualified. Besides, Quincy is an open enrolment city, which basically means that even if you reside in a different school district of the city, if you  wish to enroll your child other than the district you live, you can do so. I have a friend who transfered her kids to Bernazinni district, where most of the identified affluent areas are. The school never fails to top state and local tests. I contemplated for a little bit but I always believed that the students make the school, not the other way around. Plus, I have seen how the teachers and staff of Lincoln-Hancock work so hard to help each kid. The principal, Mrs. Witmer is awesome. The 3 times my kids were awarded for the citywide essay competition, she was always there. With the No Child Left Behind Program, the Title 1 is  reinforced more. Anyway, this program held in a school so close by us is geared towards math proficiency and writing skills development. If I'm not mistaken, it is from 1st grade to 5th grade.  It is awesome to see so many familiar faces in a different school. KC and Josh look forward to seeing their friends, but I guess there were not a lot of them. What surprises me is the fact that not a lot of parents take advantage of these free programs! These programs are either free or at minimal fee. Parents need to be more proactive to their child's education and not load all the responsibilities of educating the children to the teachers.  Remember, education starts at home. The only thing I could think of  why there are not so many participating is the lack on information to the availability of these helpful programs, but then again, as parents we need to seek all the help we could get and if that means asking the principal everyday for this kind of help, so be it!

Here is KC with her teacher.


Picked her up today with Ice. This school is where Ice is going this Fall.




Josh is a happy kid, even in school

I am always proud of my kids, they love school. To show you what I mean: here is a screencap of KC's FB status.


I wish my kids' clamor for education never wane. They love learning and that is the key to a succesful life. We should never stop learning, no matter what age.

No comments: