Saturday, April 30, 2011

Josh' weird sleeping habit

Everyone who knows me and my family know Josh is the sweetest kid. No, seriously. Just last night, knowing that a few friends are coming to relax and just be with Venice ( hey.. birthday girl) on her day, he ran out to the yard, picked fresh flowers and gave them to HG and Venice adding..."it's hand-picked", made some iced tea for the bday girl because " we have no gift for her". Just out of the blue sweetness. If I may say so, he is the most giving and sweetest of kids you would meet. Of course he has his own misgivings, like making faces, rolling his eyes... but over all, believe me when I say--- I am blessed he is my son, knowing how Mr. Hubbs did not want any more kids after we got here in the USA because life is difficult. God had other plans--good plans.

But Josh has one habit I can not explain. He likes sleeping in tight spaces ---- under the bed, under the table, in between sofas, in the walk-in closet---everywhere except the cupboard.

Here, see what I mean...
He was sleeping under my brother-in-law's dining table! This was a few years ago. But you should know, he's been doing this for as long as I can remember. I remember finding him under my bed when he was about 2 or so. Yup, under my bed. One time he was in my walk-in closet--- suffce to say, my walk-in closet is cramped -tuffed  full of clutter, he managed to sleep and squeeze in.

Then, late 2009 my husband called me at work asking if I knew where Josh was and of course I was upset! How could he ask me when he was supposed to be WITH them at my in-laws house? They even called me earlier that day. Then I started to panic, not upset but panic. The house where they are at is pretty big and has a big wooded yard. What if he was gone? Abducted? What if he was in the woods and crossed over a neighbor's and segue to the highway? Is he safe? What if he is bitten by snakes? Is he cold? Hungry? Then I started yellling at Mr. Hubbs and told him to call police, and why the hell is he calling me and not the police? He told me they looked all over before he called me so, I was kinda upset he would not call the police now. I was having these scenarios running through my head and in fact, I remembered a police officer saying that every minute a child is missing is very crucial to finding them safe or not. He was informing caregivers to be attentive all the time because that 1 minute you take your eyes off your ward is important. Can you tell I was being cookoo? Or I was just being a mommy? I  was at work then, so I felt helpless. So you can only imagine my anger when husband called again---my thought was like:

1.Why call me?
2. I  should probably call the police myself.
3.Please let him tell me they found Josh

He sent me these photos after we talked.

He was sleeping on a raised platform of my sister-in-law's center table!! All this time! Yup, while I was fuming my eyes off and ready to call the State Police, or the FBI and even the CIA, hell I was thinking of calling the church volunteers to canvass the area.

This table is in their formal living room where no one really stays but stilll, there was also a buttery soft leather sofa there--- but he chose to sleep on this table, yeah, cramping his 6 year old body in this tight space. Note that this glass table is covered with a decorative fabric that's why is not visible to everyone. Only when they were ready to leave my in-laws' house where Mr. Hubbs started looking for him. He was nowhere!

Hallelujah! He remebered Josh' sleeping habit and they started looking at the RIGHT places--- under the table, between the sofas, behind the sofas, behind the TV console, inside the kitchen island cabinets, the laundry room and yes, he was here UNDER the center table.

I remember reading a medical condition about this but it has escaped me. So if anyone knows, please leave me a comment and I will thank you.

How about you? Do you have weird sleeping habits? Do you know anyone like this?

No comments: