Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And so the great Celtics lost

Finally, my palpitating heart is going to rest. My Celtics lost! To the Lakers! In the seventh game! These are all records. The Celtics have never lost in a seventh game to the Lakers... ever.

Thank you to all my friends who were supportive of my undying fervor to the Greens. They either kept quiet because they were LA fans, changed colors because of my persuasive talk about how great the Celtics are, commented on every status change on FB or just simply dropping emails to cheer me up when the Celtics are losing.

But, many thanks to all the Lakers fans who put up a good fight! When every status update on facebook meant a rebuttal of sorts, when every "sarcastic" comment is met with a more sarcastic one, when stats are compared for the "great" players, when loyalty turns nasty, when being a fan meant like family... these makes for a great banter between friends, heartwarming teasing among family.

 Let me share you my observations, in relation to practical life.

1. This is where you can see how really knowing a person  matters. If you do not know your friends  well, you might find their obvious sarcasm to annoy you as offensive, but to a close friend, it's just that---obvious sarcasm to elicit witty sarcasm from you.

2. Who cares who you are? Or what you are, or where you're from?  Filipinos are so engrossed with basketball, it is considered the national past time. The Chinese knows Kobe, and so do the Kenyans. My 60 something year old  sis in law cheers to death for the Celtics thinking it is still Larry Bird's era. My kids are sad everytime the Celtics lose, my friends all the way from my coastal town Aparri screams "CELTICS Forever" in their Facebook accounts. In life, no matter your situation, if you love it, go for it. The zest of life should never fizz just because you are old, short or from a far-away island.

3. Team work. Team work, team work. Can I emphasize it more? More often than not, Kobe Bryant is criticized to be very "ME" player. This is not to say he is not good, he is awesome. But, basketball is not an individual sports. What I notice is that even with mere mortals like us ( yes, Kobe is baskeball god), we should also know how to be part of a team. Family is a team. Friendship is a team. Sometimes, we are so used to be THE head, we tend to ignore the other HEADS.

4. Loyalty is a virtue. We easily get swayed with the hype, we change loyalty in a millisecond. I have more fun exchanging comments with a known fan than someone who just wants to be different. Like, when everyone is for Celtics, they go Lakers, or if someone is cheering the USA, they go Canada. It's alright to show your true color. It is more fun!

And for that I say... Go Celtics!

No comments: